Sunday, August 31, 2014

Empire of MI Kiting. Sailing the dune swell.

Best day 2014 kiting I've had so far with all weather conditions firing. SW 20+ 80 degrees and sun solid all day, good 4/5 hours ripping the Sleeping Bear Dune coastline with Tom who showed me a great day at his home beach. We got started with 2 mile tack upwind to the south Empire beach point and then down the line playing on the swells all the back. Venturi from dune wall all down the line +5/10 knots stronger. Powered up. Great carving and ramps everywhere, with plenty to drive straight into rip turns/toeside/blasting back, right on shore. At the halfway point Tom moved to the 9m and I gave a couple runs to the strapless but the swells and chop were just too much I guess for me and staying overpowered on a 12. I got launched jibing and doing the foot switching after some initial success and overconfidence so back to the carbon 140 Mako. But it was all open - no one else out and right in front of the beach - just a really smooth consistent rolling swell here. Lots to rave about. Good times. Return mandatory...maybe tomorrow.